What is chronic pain?
Chronic pain is hurting that doesn’t go away. Medical professionals categorize pain as either acute or chronic.
Acute pain is your nervous system’s way of altering you to an injury or other damage to your body’s tissues. Acute pain gets your attention so that you’ll take care of yourself first. However, chronic pain is persistent pain. Pain is chronic when it lasts for 3 months or more. When pain becomes chronic, your body’s pain signals keep firing for weeks, months, or even years, even though the damage that set them off may have long healed. The pain may have been caused by an injury, and, for unknown reasons, your body never turned off its pain switch. Or the pain has an ongoing cause such as arthritis, cancer, or nerve damage. Multiple causes of pain is common for older adults.
One big difference between acute and chronic pain is when you have acute pain, you usually know why it hurts. Some examples of acute pain are broken bones, kidney stones and childbirth. When you have chronic pain, you may have no idea what’s causing the hurting. The bone has healed, the stone has passed, and the baby is now walking and talking, but you still have lingering problems in the areas where the acute pain occurred.
Chronic pain is a solitary experience, yet it’s also a universal one. Sensations of chronic pain range from a small, constant ache to excruciating pain.
So why are you having pain?
Pain is caused by an exchange of information between three major systems in your body: your peripheral nerves, spinal cord, and brain.
Chronic pain worsens, and then it improves. This waxing and waning pattern repeats, again and again. Flare-ups are those times when your chronic pain is most intense. For example, on a 0-10 pain intensity scale, a flare-up may be a time when your pain is a 7 or higher. People are most likely to use pain medications during chronic pain flare-ups. While the use of pain relievers can be the right thing, it’s important to have other strategies, don’t rely on drugs alone.
Flare-ups are often the result of pain triggers. Two major categories of pain triggers reflect your physical and emotional states. The first category includes activity or inactivity triggers such as staying in one position too long (such as standing or sitting for an extended period of time), repetitive movements performed frequently and for long periods of time, movements that strain your body (lifting or pulling a heavy object), bad posture, such as slumping over, and stressing painful areas.
The way to avoid these triggers is obvious: do the opposite. For example, make sure that you don’t stay in one position for too long.
How to deal with it?
Chronic pain can generate negative emotions, such as anger, frustration and fear. Develop a healthier and more accurate view of yourself. A healthy self image starts with learning to accept and love yourself. Foster a positive self image by the following:
– take a realistic self image inventory. Focus on the positives instead of your weaknesses.
– set realistic and measurable goals, such as losing a pound a week, rather than fixating on the 20 pounds that you need to lose.
– confront thinking distortions such as “I can’t ever be successful”
– identify childhood labels. If someone called you ugly or bullied you, try to get over it. That was a long time ago.
– stop comparing yourself to others, they have their weaknesses and strengths too.
– develop your strengths and play down your weaknesses.
– learn to love yourself. If you love yourself, someone else may love you too.
– give positive affirmations. Stop moaning and groaning or acting sick.
– remember that you are unique.
– learn to be calm and think about the good things.
– and finally, remember how far you have come and you are always progressing.
Everybody deals with pain at some point in their lives, but now that you have this information available to you, I hope that you can hopefully think about it and reduce some of your pain.
I wrote this information down over the past year from a health book (which unfortunately I forgot the title and can’t reference it here. But if you happen to discover it, let me know in the comments below and I will happily acknowledge it here; sorry for this inconvenience). Also don’t forget to share this post with someone you know will find it useful. Thank you for reading and stay healthy 🙂
20 Alone Quotes That Will Make You Feel Less Lonely
Nobody likes to be lonely, but sometimes being alone can really help you find yourself. Here are 20 quotes that will make you think deeply about being alone... hope you enjoy!
1. One of the greatest regrets in life is being what others would want you to be, rather than being yourself.
2. There are people who like to be alone without feeling lonely at all.
3. If you are never alone, you cannot know yourself.
4. I often stood in front of the mirror alone, wondering how ugly a person could get.
5. I don't mind. I like being alone.
6. I never wanted to be alone, but I always opted for loneliness. I am an emotional, sensitive and expressive creature.
7. Nobody enjoys the company of others as intensely as someone who usually avoids the company of others.
8. I've always believed that the only defeats and victories that matter in life are those you lose or win alone, against yourself.
9. People may still feel lonely even among the crowd.
10. There must be different kinds of loneliness, or at least different degrees of loneliness, but the most terrifying loneliness is not experienced by everyone and can be understood by only a few.
11. The best part about being alone is that you really don't have to answer to anybody.
12. The thing that I'm most worried about is just being alone without anybody to care for or someone who will care for me, or worst of all, being alone while being with somebody.
13. It's better to be unhappy alone than unhappy with someone.
14. I had already found that it was not good to be alone, and so made companionship with what there was around me, sometimes with the universe and sometimes with my own insignificant self.
15. I think it's good for a person to spend time alone. It gives them an opportunity to discover who they are and to figure out why they are always alone.
16. Sometimes it's better to be alone, no one can hurt you that way.
17. My alone feels so good, I can only be around people that are better than my solitude.
18. Without great solitude no serious work is possible.
19. You cannot be lonely if you like the person you're alone with.
20. Until you get comfortable with being alone, you'll never know if you're choosing someone out of love or loneliness.
So what are your thoughts about being alone? Do you find peace or chaos in your alone time? Leave a comment below, I look forward to reading your opinion 🙂
77 Hopeful Quotes That Will Keep You Going (Part 3)
50. Life will always try to make things difficult for you, but every time you overcome obstacles, you come out stronger.
51. Die trying, not as a failure or disappointment.
52. People that keep on repeating the same old mistakes are literally damaging their future without even being aware.
53. You need to be there for yourself too.
54. The best view comes after the hardest climb.
55. No matter how good of a person you are, even the "small" mistakes will cost you.
56. Life is only as good as you make it.
57. Find faith in yourself and get to know yourself above all. Forget about outside negative forces, pay attention to your positive vision and work towards that
58. When you're thankful for what you have, you are always rewarded with more. Try to stay positive and things will get better
59. Let go of everything for a short while, find yourself, heal yourself, build yourself and have faith.
60. In the long run, the sharpest weapon of all is a kind and gentle spirit.
61. Don't focus on what others are doing no matter how much more successful or better they are than you. Just focus on yourself and what you can do to succeed.
62. It doesn't get easier you just get stronger.
63. You don't "discover" your place in the world. You carve it out.
64. The most important thing is to continue. Forget about others, forget about the scoreboard, forget about your failures. Just keep pushing.
65. Don't bury thoughts of hatred in your heart. Let it go and focus on something that brings you peace.
66. Always take 100% care of yourself, even if the odds are against you.
67. Invest in whatever is good for your overall health. Heart, mind, body and soul.
68. The more you learn, the more you see.
69. Doing something good with your whole heart will never go to waste.
70. God has a blessing with your name on it.
71. Break the habit of saying things about yourself that you do not want to come true.
72. That little spark you feel as you heal. That's what life's about.
73. The way that you deal with things, is the way that things will deal with you.
74. The difficult days prepare for the best days ahead.
75. You can accept your life as it is, or you can change it. You can let your life happen to you, or make your life happen through you.
76. The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.
77. The changes in our life must come from the impossibility to live otherwise than according to the demands of our conscience not from our mental resolution to try a new form of life.
40 Eye Opening Quotes About Learning That Will Change Your Thinking
Without learning, life would be meaningless. Learning is what gives meaning in life, and it is what brings purpose too. Here are 40 quotes that will make you think about the importance of learning. Hope you enjoy reading through them. 🙂
1. He who learns but does not think, is lost! He who thinks but does not learn is in great danger.
2. There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning.
3. The purpose of learning is growth, and our minds, unlike our bodies, can continue growing as we continue to live.
4. Developing a desire to learn is the kindling point of all classroom achievement.
5. Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.
6. The past is a place of reference, not a place of residence; the past is a place of learning, not a place of living.
7. The more I read, the more I acquire, the more certain I am that I know nothing.
8. Time doesn't heal emotional pain, you need to learn how to let go.
9. Never let hard lessons harden your heart; the hard lessons of life are meant to make you better, not bitter.
10. Some things cannot be taught; they must be experienced. You never learn the most valuable lessons in life until you go through your own journey.
11. It is difficult to live in and enjoy the moment when you are thinking about the past or worrying about the future. You cannot change your past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about your future. Learn from the past, plan for the future. The more you live in and enjoy the present moment, the happier you will be.
12. Learning never exhausts the mind.
13. One of the greatest journeys in life is overcoming insecurity and learning to truly not give a shit.
14. People that have trust issues only need to look in the mirror. There they will meet the one person that will betray them the most.
15. Change is the end result of all true learning.
16. For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
17. How much you can learn when you fail determines how far you will go into achieving your goals.
18. No matter how much experience you have, there's always something new you can learn and room for improvement.
19. That is what learning is. You suddenly understand something you've understood all your life, but in a new way.
20. The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
21. Small minds have always lashed out at what they don't understand.
22. The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
23. It is the mark of a truly educated man to know what not to read.
24. Life is a balanced system of learning and evolution. Whether pleasure or pain; every situation in your life serves a purpose. It is up to us to recognize what that purpose could be.
25. What does reason know? Reason only knows what it has succeeded in learning...
26. With too much pride a man cannot learn a thing. In and of itself, learning teaches how foolish you are.
27. It's not just learning that's important. It's learning what to do with what you learn and learning why you learn things that matters.
28. At the end of your lives you will not be judged by academic successes, the degrees or diplomas earned, the positions held, the material wealth acquired, or power and prestige, but rather on the basis of what you have become as persons and what you are in conduct and character.
29. We can't begin to learn until we admit how much we don't know.
30. Every pain is a lesson.
31. Don't learn to do, but learn in doing.
32. It's not always what we don't know that gets in our way; sometimes it's what we think we know that keeps us from learning.
33. They say faith is taking the first step when you can't see the whole staircase. Actually, wisdom is seeing the elevator behind it that would have taken you to the top floor.
34. suffering is a part of real life lesson.
35. we all mess up. It's what we learn from our mistakes that matters.
36. Learning is important. It is a way to make a life better for yourself and your family.
37. You have to learn how to die if you wanna be alive.
38. The deepest learning directs your thinking. The deepest thinking directs your learning.
39. Learning and innovation go hand in hand. The arrogance of success is to think that what you did yesterday will be sufficient for tomorrow.
40. Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere.
So what are your thoughts? Leave a comment below!
Uncategorized9 months ago
1200 Motivational Quotes (Part 2)
Uncategorized6 months ago
1200 Motivational Quotes (Part 11)
Uncategorized10 months ago
Here’s The Reality Of Self-Love, And Why It’s So Important
Uncategorized9 months ago
150 Top Self Love Quotes To Always Remember (Part 1)
Uncategorized10 months ago
200 Inspirational & Valuable Life Quotes That Will Make You Think Deeply
Uncategorized7 months ago
150 Top Self Love Quotes To Always Remember (Part 5)
Uncategorized9 months ago
1000 Best Life Quotes (Part 3)
Uncategorized3 months ago
77 Hopeful Quotes That Will Keep You Going (Part 2)