If you read my previous post, you will know that I have discussed 10 things you might be experiencing due to stress. (Click here to read if you haven’t done so already). So now, in this post I will continue from my last one and talk about 10 useful ways in which I deal with my stress. I hope you find them useful too.
When my stress gets overwhelming I like to attempt meditation/yoga practices. Doing so makes me feel still, in the moment, and puts my mind at ease. It is a peaceful experience which distracts me from all the stressful thoughts that occur inside my head. It’s just nice to detach from everything for a while and focus on mindfulness, developing tranquility. Sometimes I even play peaceful meditation type of music (such as the one in the YouTube video presented below) in the background while I do this sort of activity. It really helps me stay clearly focused on what I’m doing which is the main goal here. Honestly, I hope to one day maintain this habit every single day for the rest of my life. I feel like people shouldn’t be doing meditation/yoga only in times of stress, but they should involve it as part of their daily routine because it gives you that special boost of energy that you need to go about your day.
2) Eat healthy/have a healthy diet
Over the years (ever since my mid teen years) I have come to realize that eating healthy isn’t just about eating fruits and vegetables (although that is part of a healthy diet), but it is mostly about maintaining a good balance of all the nutrients and minerals that your body needs in order to fully function properly. For me, eating healthy has really proven to help with maintaining my stress levels. I started cutting down on sugar, reducing my calorie intake when it comes to certain foods (such as cookies, fries, pizza) and replacing it with foods that are high in iron, selenium and protein (such as leafy green vegetables, brazil nuts and greek yogurt) – all these types of foods alone have generally made me feel better about myself. When I eat sugary/packet foods, I tend to get headaches and heart palpitations which actually make my stress worse than it already is. But making little changes such as replacing cookies with oat biscuits that are high in fibre, have made such a big impact on my health.
However, above all, it is crucial to drink lots and lots and lots of water. I always carry a 1 litre water bottle with me to make sure that I am not missing out on staying fully hydrated. Sometimes, I even refill it up to 3/4 times. I can’t get enough of water, it helps to give me that feeling of being awake and feeling fresh inside. I think that drinking a lot of water as oppose to resorting to fizzy drinks and caffeine can have a huge impact on stress, because it can keep your mind feeling refreshed. And after all the human body is made up of 70% water, so keep it close to you as much as possible.
3) Journal/write it down
So when my moods are all over the place (whenever I feel stressed out, down, anxious or negative) and I don’t want to explain myself or be around anyone, I like to journal and write my feelings and emotions down into my notebook or just a piece of paper. I find this to be very useful for me because it feels like my pen and paper are my actual best friends that actually listen to my feelings. I know it’s weird but believe me this helps – it is far better than being in a state of feeling terrible and not doing anything about it because it gives you something to do. Journalling/writing things down is a good distraction as it helps you let out all your stress in ways you didn’t know was possible. It definitely has me feeling more calm. Here’s an example of a page from my journal:
4) Improve sleep routine
A big sign of stress is a poor sleeping pattern, so what I like to do to keep my stress levels under control, is to sleep earlier than I typically do (which is usually after 1am). I won’t lie, I don’t have the most perfect and consistent sleeping pattern in the world, but I have my good days days (when I actually feel under control) where I naturally fall asleep just before 12am and then wake up nice and early (around 9am) feeling refreshed and positive. I plan on working on improving my sleep routine to get my daily 7-8 hours of sleep, by sleeping and waking up around the same time every day. By doing this I think it would have such a significant improvement on stress making me feel like I have my life under control. I really think everybody should work towards this goal. Without good sleep, we are barely living.
5) Be social; engage with friends/family
Instead of constantly being isolated, I think it’s good to sometimes be social and just generally be around people to distract yourself from your daily stressful thinking habits. Take some time out and engage with someone else other than your own thoughts. As for my case, I try to be social by being around my family when I can, even if I’m just present, sitting in the same living room as them. I like to strike random conversations with my siblings too so that in itself can be refreshing because it makes me feel less lonely, like I actually have a family/ life to participate in, and not just stressful situations to deal/occupy my mind with.
6) Take breaks from social media
I never knew that one of the things that would trigger my stress levels is my need to keep up to date with social media apps until one day I realized that I was waking up every single day to focus on what others are doing instead of thinking about myself. I would take literally hours and hours scrolling through people’s lifestyles on apps like instagram and pinterest which would end up stressing me out so much bloody more because I was too focused on what I was missing out on. I can’t believe I used to do that. But now thankfully, I’m at a stage in my life where on most days I spend less time (or even none) being the way I used to. I actually prioritize time for myself (okay…maybe not always, but more than I ever did before). I take breaks from my phone and take time to be productive in a way that would help me build myself out of the stressful mess. This is definitely not easy to maintain, but it’s worth it. Sometimes you have to cut out all the social media bullsh*t and put all the focus on you.
7) Get plenty of rest
When I get to the point of exhaustion and restlessness, I can usually tell by picking up the signs that my body tries to give me (usually through a headache, fast heart rate or feeling zoned out). I never dismiss these signs, so I accept them and give myself some time out to put my feet up and rest. I also try to take regular breaks from tasks that I work on and I avoid doing everything in one attempt. This helps me feel like I’m dealing with smaller and easy to handle tasks and so makes me feel less stressed out.
8) Believe in yourself
Who says you will be stressed out for the rest of your life? Who says you can’t overcome your stress? Who is going to stop you? Well, the answer is… you. Only you can control what happens to you. So now is the time to believe in yourself. If you can build an “I can and I will” mindset then you will truly be unstoppable. I have started to do this more often and it has made a big difference in my life. Instead of focusing on the problems/negative side, I try to focus on solutions and think positively. Remember, what you think, you become. Know that nothing or no one can keep you away from thriving and succeeding in your dreams, goals and ambitions. Only you have the power of the outcomes of your life. Speak good things to yourself and never doubt yourself, ever.
I think one of the ultimate, best ways to deal with stress is daily exercise (moving your body and sweating it all out). Generally, exercise is supposed to help you lose weight, but for me that’s not the only goal. My main goal when it comes to exercise is to feel good about myself, knowing that I’m taking full control of my health in minimising things like heart disease, cholesterol and maintaining a good mental health (including stress levels). I feel that daily exercise (I go on my treadmill machine) is so powerful in the sense that it transforms and improves my moods and helps me relax better.
10) Do something you enjoy
When I’m feeling low energy or just not in the mood to do anything I like to do something that I enjoy such as going to a shopping centre or even just window shopping. This instantly gives me more energy as it is something that I’m not forced to do, I like doing it and it makes me happier. It’s just fun and it really helps me stay distracted from stressing out. If you’re feeling stressed out I recommend you to put your energy and focus on something you enjoy and makes you happy.
So now you have reached to the end of this blog post, I would love to hear your thoughts about it. Have you tried any of the tips? What do you do when you’re stressed out? Do you have any useful tips to share with the world? Leave your comments down below 🙂 Thank you in advance, have a nice day 🙂
35 Enlightening Quotes For Times Of Struggle
Struggling to find the light in your life? Don’t worry, we have all been there at some point. You can easily find your way back. The 35 quotes below should captivate your mind and help you get through your struggles. Enjoy! 🙂
1) Out of difficulties grow miracles…
2) Your limitation – it’s only your imagination.
3) Never forget to love yourself a little more each day than the day before.
4) Sometimes the right path is not the easiest one.
5) If you set your goals ridiculously high and it’s a failure, you will fail above everyone else’s success.
6) Our biggest asset is time. Yet, we waste it on regrets. Here’s to living a life worth each moment.
7) Our dreams are there to guide us.
8) Love the life you live. Live the life you love.
9) Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.
10) Thinking before acting is wisdom but acting before thinking is regret.
11) No one ever injured their eyesight by looking on the bright side.
12) Life is essentially an endless series of problems. The solution to one problem is merely the creation of the next one. Don’t hope for a life without problems. There’s no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.
13) Feel that things are eventually coming together. Feel it with all your heart and soul. Because they are.
14) Thoughts have unlimited potential to, directly or indirectly, make you feel empowered, uplifted and hopeful.
15) Until you cross the bridge of your insecurities you can’t begin to explore your possibilities.
16) Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all
17) This is your journey so stand up and prepare yourself for it.
18) All the powers in the universe are already ours. It is we who have put our hands before our eyes and cry that it is dark…
19) The one thing that you have that nobody else has is you. Your voice, your story, your vision. So write and draw and build live as only you can.
20) The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts.
21) You must get in the mindset of seeing your goals being achieved. You have to ‘know’ that whatever it is you’re aiming for, you’re on the way to getting there.
22) The struggle you’re in today is developing the strength you need tomorrow.
23) The good life is a process, not a state of being. It is a direction, not a destination.
24) Every storm runs out of rain, just like every dark night turns into day.
25) Strength and growth come only through continuous effort and struggle, so don’t give up.
26) If you have a WHY to live, you can bear almost any “HOW”. A meaningful life can be extremely satisfying even in the midst of hardship whereas a meaningless life is a terrible ordeal no matter how comfortable it is.
27) Life is a storm that will test you unceasingly. Don’t wait for calm waters that may not arrive. Derive purpose from resilience. Learn to sail the raging sea.
28) Don’t live life with regrets and make every minute count because everything happens for a reason.
29) You have to be bold and get rid of the thoughts that are holding you back.
30) Going to the mountains is like going home.
31) When you feel like quitting, think about why you started.
32) Happiness depends upon your outlook on life.
33) There are always going to be things you look back on and wish you did differently but those very choices made you exactly who you are today
34) The most dangerous poison is the feeling of achievement. The antidote is to every evening think what can be done better tomorrow.
35) Never let hate get to the heart.
Thank you for reading. Don’t forget to leave a comment below with your thoughts.
Ongoing Website Construction
Hey all, this is just a temporary blog post to let you know that my website is in the process of going through some changes. If you have caught on, you will realize that there are many links that are missing and some of the pages are empty which looks messy! – but don’t worry about all this, I am on my way to fixing it. Just bear with me. This website will be more easily accessible within due time. In the mean time, you can still navigate and browse through the blog posts that I’ve already shared. Just be patient. Thanks in advance.
50 Powerful Eye Opener Quotes To Remember For Life
If you feel like you need an extra push towards the right direction in your life, read the following quotes and apply them to your own life accordingly. I hope these quotes will be helpful. Enjoy 🙂
1. It's good to have money and the things that money can buy, but it's good, too, to check up once in a while and make sure you that you haven't lost the things that money can't buy.
2. No one is to blame for your future situation but yourself. If you want to be better, then simply be better. Stop complicating things for yourself. Decide what you want and work for it.
3. Self confidence is a super power. Once you start believing in yourself, magic happens.
4. If you do not believe you can do it then you have no chance at all.
5. Most of the greatest things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying where there seemed to be no hope at all.
6. Prayer is our powerful contact with the greatest force in the universe.
7. Never stop learning, because life never stops teaching.
8. You have to fight through some bad days to earn the best days of your life.
9. Whatever you're facing right now, you can get through it! You always have done, always will do. And someday, you will get through it completely that it won't bother you anymore
10. Never settle with the belief that your life won't get better because one day it just might.
11. Never give up... always keep going... even when things seem impossible...
12. Sometimes life can be hard but that doesn't mean you should stop trying your best
13. Don't forget that you play an important role to this world. You are needed and you exist for a great purpose
14. No one said life would be easy, they just promised it would get better.
15. The truth is, you gotta be selfish sometimes. You have to take care of yourself and be there for yourself. Make sure you do the best you can to keep yourself together. That's not selfish, that's actually very important to do. Don't ever forget that
16. The key to happiness is good health
17. Every man is two men; one is awake in the darkness, the other asleep in the light.
18. Low self-esteem is like driving through life with your hand-break on.
19. Self-worth comes from one thing -- thinking that you are worthy.
20. If you would have a faithful servant and one that you like, serve yourself.
21. Creation is a better means of self-expression that possession; it is through creating, not possessing, that life is revealed.
22. That kind of life is most happy which affords us most opportunities of gaining our own esteem.
23. There are few human emotions as warm, comforting, and enveloping as self-pity. And nothing is more corrosive and destructive. There is only one answer; turn away from it and move on.
24. Life can be awkward at times. It is part of the growing process.
25. Sometimes we develop grand concepts of what happiness might look like for us, but if we pay attention, we can see that there are little symbols of happiness in every breath that we take.
26. The greatest success, is successful self acceptance.
27. Always remember that your net worth is not the same thing as your self-worth, and your value is not based on your valuables.
28. Look into your own heart, discover what it is that gives you pain and then refuse, under any circumstance whatsoever, to inflict that pain on anybody else.
29. Never say anything about yourself you do not want to come true.
30. The self is just our operation center, our consciousness, our moral compass. So, if we want to act more effectively in the world, we have to get to know ourselves better.
31. It is the hardest thing in the world to be a good thinker without being a good self examiner.
32. It isnt until you come to a spiritual understanding of who you are not necessarily a religious feeling but deep down the spirit within that that you can begin to take control.
33. But it's not what they think of you that matters, it's what you think of yourself.
34. The act of forgiveness takes place in our own mind. It really has nothing to do with the other person.
35. If you have the ability to open your eyes each morning, then you also have the ability to face that day.
36. We only feel good about ourselves to the exact degree we feel in control of our lives.
37. You are a function of what the whole universe is doing in the same way that a wave is a function of what the whole ocean is doing.
38. We are not of what we feel or believe to do, we are of what we do or fail to do.
39. When you're rotten about yourself, you become rotten to everyone else, even those you love.
40. He who reigns within himself, and rules passions, desires, and fears, is more than a king.
41. Dream your dreams with your eyes closed, but live your dreams with your eyes open.
42. There are two kinds of evil people in this world, people who do evil stuff and people who see evil stuff being done and dont do anything about it.
43. Our eyes are placed in front because it is more important to look ahead than to look back
44. If you stopped believing in yourself, then now is the time to start believing in yourself again.
45. Believe in yourself, believe in all that you are, and all that you will become.
46. To climb steep hills, it requires slow pace at first.
47. We are what we repeatedly do. So, excellence isn't a choice - it's a habit.
48. The best cure for ones bad tendencies is to see them in action in another person.
49. We are more easily persuaded, in general, by the reasons we ourselves discover than by those which are given to us by others.
50. Happiness is the settling of the soul into it's most appropriate spot...
Thank you for reading these quotes! Let me know if you have any favourites in the comments below.
Uncategorized1 year ago
1200 Motivational Quotes (Part 2)
Anxiety Quotes1 year ago
40 Best Anxiety Quotes Images To Help You Stay Calm
Uncategorized1 year ago
150 Top Self Love Quotes To Always Remember (Part 1)
Uncategorized1 year ago
Here’s The Reality Of Self-Love, And Why It’s So Important
Uncategorized1 year ago
1200 Motivational Quotes (Part 11)
Uncategorized1 year ago
200 Inspirational & Valuable Life Quotes That Will Make You Think Deeply
Uncategorized10 months ago
77 Hopeful Quotes That Will Keep You Going (Part 2)
Uncategorized1 year ago
1000 Best Life Quotes (Part 3)